Monash University & QANTAS: Fighting The War On Waste
In 2008 Monash University wanted their campuses to have a recycling program, so they contacted The Container Connection, Victoria.
We presented our range of litterbins with a “green” angle ie: Our recycling bins were made of 100% recycled polyethylene. Monash were so impressed they ordered approximately 1,000 bins and have been adding to their campuses all over Victoria ever since.
In 2012/13 Deakin University wanted the same type of recycling program and have also installed over 600 Recycling bins made from 100% recycled material.
These bins are still being used on campus 10 years later! Longevity is part of our plan.
Graeme Smith from The Container Connection NSW and Norman Johnson from Daniels, collaborated with the QANTAS Design team on a concept for recycling newspapers and magazines from other recycling material.
The brief included:
- Style – the unit had to look good in the departure lounges of the domestic terminals.
- Size – to be compact, yet provide two useful receptacles for newspapers/magazines and other recycling waste.
- Removable Liner Bins – keeps plastic liner bags out of sight.
- Hinged Lid – staff do not have to remove the lid and put aside while emptying the bins.
- Lockable Lid – improves security and safety.
- OH & S – the unit had to pass a workplace safety risk assessment.
- Green Credentials – materials had to have a high recycled content.
- Country of Origin – Australian design and manufacture was preferred.
- Signage – Specific QANTAS signage was supplied. Mould in Graphics was the selected form of signage.Attention to detail included hole shapes and sizes, as well as the shape of the base at the rear to provide maximum stability when the lid is hinged back, with a lock specific to the needs of QANTAS. Once the prototype was approved, a mould was made to produce this modern, functional recycling centre in high quality recycled polyethylene, which is a Green Star rated material.
This became our transit bin reality.
LITTERSMART is a 100% Australian designed and manufactured product.
Littersmart will not leak, so there is no risk of damaging stains and is extremely durable and will not break, chip or crack under normal working conditions.
An easy to handle, light weight solution to litter management.
For security, Littersmart can be wired to prevent component loss or theft.
Littersmart is safe for both indoor and outdoor use. UV stabilised and will not rust or corrode. Littersmart comes with a 10 year warranty.
Littersmart comes in a range of colours. Refer to our colour selector and colour chips.
Littersmart is recyclable and also available in 100% Recycled Polyethylene.
LitterSmart bins can be found in the following Australian businesses and locations:
- 7-Eleven Fuel and Franchise Outlets Australia wide
- Freedom Fuel Outlets
- QANTAS Transit Lounge
- Sydney Convention Centre
- Sydney Entertainment Centre
- Brisbane Convention Center
- Gold Coast Convention Center
- Chandler Sports Center
- Westfield Chermside
- Garden City Shopping Centre
- Castle Hill Shopping Centre
- Tree Tops Shopping Centre
- Morayfield Shopping Centre
- Univerity of Technology Sydney
- RMIT University Campus
- Monash University Campus – Victoria wide
- Deakin University Campus – Victoria wide
- Swinburne University Campus
- Holmesglen TAFE
- AMF Bowling Centres Australia Wide
- Sky City Darwin Casino
- Jupiters Casino
- Treasury Casino
- Logan Hyperdome Shopping Centre